DRIVEN © Goals
Stage Six: Necessary
To achieve our goals we need to embrace change, but change can be daunting. Fear of the unknown, fear of failure, or fear of success can hold us back.
Fear breeds excuses, so to overcome the urge to stay in your comfort zone you will need a powerful ‘Why’. Often, we are so focused on the ‘how’ we forget the reason ‘Why’ our goal or original dream is so necessary.
But, when you have a powerful ‘Why’ you will wake up each morning, eager to take action. You will see opportunities to move forward and you will stay motivated – without even thinking about it!
I recently heard a story about a man who had a fear of heights. When asked if he would climb a 200 metre cliff-face he answered “Not a chance!”. When asked if he would do so to save his own life he said “Maybe”. Then, when asked if he would climb the cliff-face to save one of his children’s lives, he said “It depends on which child!”
Your ‘Why’ is not based on logic. Ok, it might be logical as well, but the driving force of ‘Why’ lives in your emotions and will drive you forward both consciously and subconsciously.
Remember, at the beginning of the DRIVEN © process, your goal started as a dream, became real, it inspired you and supported your values. So, by now you know you have a powerful ‘Why’. Don’t forget this when the going gets tough!
How to Keep Hold of your ‘WHY’
1. Find a private, quiet space where you won’t be disturbed.
2. Sit quietly and relax your shoulders.
3. Breath slowly, using all of your lung space.
4. Imagine that you have achieved your dream. See it, hear it, feel it.
5. How good does this make you feel?
6. Now write down as many reasons as possible describing why you really, really want to reach your dream?
7. Keep this list somewhere close to hand so that you can refer to it on a regular basis. If you are a visual person, create a vision board (let me know if you would like instructions about how to create a vision board)